Healthcare Newsletter – January 2017
Sathguru Foot Print
Indian Vaccine Industry— Changes Needed for Sustained Competitiveness
Excerpts from position paper developed for CII:
- The Indian vaccine industry grew to approximately $ 1 billion in 2015 with a robust 5 year CAGR of 25%.
- Commendable success in global supply of technologically complex vaccines at affordable prices.
- About 60% of GAVI’s overall vaccine procurement was from Indian companies in 2014.
Context for Policy Reform:
- Long standing requirements for multiple licenses and other regulatory redundancies cause significant delay in approval
- Case in point is PCV vaccine, where India enjoys a strong pipeline, and near term product adoption in UIP is announced
- Government spend on immunization needs to be increased at least 3 fold to meet near term goals
The Road to Success:
- Policy Related Changes: Enhanced fiscal and funding support, removal of vaccines from NLEM, increase in immunization spend
- Regulatory Changes: Eliminate redundancy in licensing processes, accelerate clinical pathway
Sathguru in the News
What is the way forward for the Indian vaccines industry? – Business Standard
Breaking barriers to create formidable global impact – ehealth
J.P. Morgan Annual Healthcare Conference
Sathguru will be in San Francisco for JPM Annual Healthcare Conference (Jan 09-12, 2017). Stop by to say hello to us!